1 C. William O’Neill (1916-1978) — Fourth and Scammel streets, Marietta. Ohio’s 59th governor, Marietta native C. William O’Neill, was the only Ohioan to have headed all three branches of state government.
2 The Historic Ohio Land Company, 1788-1988 — Sacra Via Park, Marietta. The Marietta Bicentennial Commission has enrolled these commemorative deed holders in the Historic Ohio Land Company, honoring the bicentennial of the Ordinance of 1787 and the 200th anniversary of the founding of Marietta.
3 Sacra Via — Third, Second and Front streets at Sacra Via, Marietta. Circa 900 AD, Hopewell Sacred Walled Way from Quadranou to river. Earthen walls removed in 1843 by local bricklayer.
4 Farmers’ Castle — Ohio 618, just west of Belpre city limits. The Belpre Historical Society erected a stone monument in 1910 to commemorate the site of the Farmers’ Castle, which was home to pioneer families during the Indian War (1791-1794).
The Celoron de Blienville Plaque on Virginia Street marks the spot where a French plaque was buried and later found.
5 Cedarville Cemetery — Old Cemetery Drive between Cross and West streets, Belpre. The Rotary Club has tried to save the remaining headstones at the out-of-the-way Cedarville Cemetery (1791).
6 Putnam Family Library/Belpre Farmers’ Library — 2012 Washington Blvd., Belpre. Erected by a joint venture of the Ohio Historical Society (2002), the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Co., the Belpre Historical Society and the Washington County Public Library, this marker designates the first library of the Northwest Territory.
7 Bathsheba Rouse — 214 Washington Blvd., Belpre. A memorial to the first woman to teach in the Northwest Territory (1789-1790) sits at Putnam-Howe Park in the middle of Belpre.
8 Belpre Garrison — Blennerhassett Avenue, Belpre. Marks the site where the original Belpre Garrison is located.
9 George Washington Encampment — Bank of the Ohio River above the mouth of the Little Muskingum Creek, Reno, Ohio. Marks the site where George Washington and his party stayed overnight Oct. 26, 1770, while on a surveying trip in the Ohio Country.
10 Capt. Gordon C. Greene and Capt. Mary Becker Greene — Ohio 7, Newport. Gordon and Mary Greene, Ohio riverboat pioneers from Newport, started the “Greene Line” in 1890, which eventually became the “Delta Queen Steamboat Company.” With his wife, Mary, Gordon operated tours on the Ohio River. Mary earned a pilot and masters license, and also served as hostess on the Gordon C. Greene and the Delta Queen.
11 Devol's Floating Flour Mill — Southwest corner of Civitan Park, near the gazebo, in Belpre. Capt. Jonathan Devol built a floating grain mill in 1791 to supply meal to the garrison stationed at Farmer’s Castle and other settlers along the Ohio River.
12 Muskingum Academy, Marietta College — Fifth and Putnam streets, Marietta. Muskingum Academy, forerunner to Marietta College, was established in 1797 to provide classical instruction in the Northwest Territory. In 1835, Marietta College was formed as a non-denominational Christian college.
13 Northwest Ordinance, 1787 and The Ohio Company Purchase — Second Street, Campus Martius Museum, Marietta. Marks the site of the original fortification after the founding of Marietta and the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 that established the settlement of the west.
14 Round Bottom Settlement and Schoolhouse — Beverly. Marks the location of the Round Bottom Settlement, which was established following the Indian Wars of the 1790s.
15 Underground Railroad — Cutler. Marks the site where the Underground Railroad sent escaped slaves to the north prior to the Civil War.
16 Site of Fort Harmar — Harmar School grounds, Marietta. Site of Fort Harmar, built in 1785, which was garrison for U.S. troops.
17 Mound Cemetery — Fifth Street, Marietta. Marks the site of the Mound Cemetery and contains a quote from George Washington.
18 Mound Square — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. A work of the moundbuilders (prehistoric Indians), reserved for the public use by the founders of Marietta in 1788; set aside as a cemetery in 1800.
19 Heroes of Peace — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. Buried here are many of the heroes of peace, including veterans of the French and Indian War, the Revolution, War of 1812, the Mexican, Civil and Spanish-American wars.
20 Replica of the Union Gallery — Bank of the Muskingum River. Erected in 1938, sponsored by the pioneers of 1938; dismantled about 1948.
21 Army Masonic Lodge — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. Buried here are members of American Union No. 1, Army Masonic Lodge, reorganized at Marietta, 1790. Designed by Benjamin Franklin and engraved by Paul Revere.
22 Lafayette on his visit to Marietta, 1825 — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. Contains a quote from French general and marquis Gilbert du Motier Lafayette on his visit to Marietta.
23 Conus Mound — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. Named by the moundbuilders, is 30 feet high and 375 feet around; the surrounding moat is elliptical in form and is 4 feet high, 20 feet wide, and 585 feet around.
24 Mothers & Children’s Plaque — Mound Cemetery, Fifth Street, Marietta. Contains a quote commemorating mothers and children found there.
25 The Stockade — Southwest corner of Campus Martius Museum, Washington Street, Marietta. Occupied by the first governor of the Northwest Territory and by pioneers of Ohio during the Indian War, 1791 to 1795.
26 Pioneers Monument — Formerly at Monroe Street, Marietta; moved to Front Street by Harmar Railroad Bridge. Contains the names of the 48 pioneers who landed near this spot, April 7, 1788.
27 First Families Monument — Ohio River Museum, Front Street, Marietta. Records the names and commemorates the landing near this spot of the pioneer families of The Ohio Company, Aug. 19, 1788, whose lives were established in Campus Martius.
28 Southern Boundary Picketed Point — Front and Greene streets, Marietta. Placed to keep in remembrance the historic point where dwelt, during four years of the Indian War, 1791-1795, early settlers of Ohio.
29 Mary Gardner Owen — Lafayette Park, Marietta. Contains a quote in memory of Mary Gardner Owen, the first white woman settler, who, with her husband and children, arrived in Marietta on June 5, 1788.
30 First Permanent Settlement Northwest of the Ohio — Marietta College campus. Contains a quote commemorating the first permanent settlement in the territory Northwest of the Ohio, consecrated to freedom by the Ordinance of 1787 and the first organization of its free institution.
31 Marietta settled — Muskingum Park, Marietta.
32 First Sunday school — Campus Martius State Museum Grounds, Marietta. Contains a quote marking the site of the blockhouse in which the first Sunday school in the Marietta settlement was conducted by Mary Bird Lake in the year 1791.
33 Celoron de Blienville Plaque — Virginia Street, Marietta. Contains a quote stating the plaque is a replica of the one engraved on a lead plaque buried there Aug. 15, 1749, for Celoron de Blienville and of which a fragment recovered in 1798 is preserved by the American Antiquarian Society, Worchester, Mass. The French inscription on the plaque is in remembrance of the services rendered in France by the Marietta College Ambulance Unit during the years 1917 to 1919.
34 In Memory of Major Nathan Goodale — North of intersection of Ohio 7 and Ohio 76, Belpre. Contains a quote which is in memory of Maj. Nathan Goodale, a native of Massachusetts Revolutionary officer, who arrived in Ohio on Aug. 19, 1788. Goodale was first commandant in the Farmer’s Castle. He was kidnapped by Indians on this farm on March 1, 1793, and never returned.
35 Stone’s Fort — Old River Bank Road, Belpre. Contains a quote commemorating a time when Capt. Jonathan Stone and 12 other families lived at this fort during the remainder of the Indian War. The fort was built in 1793, enclosing four blockhouses, a school room and several log cabins.
36 Indian Wars Settlement — Lowell. Contains a quote marking the site of the fortified settlement erected in April 1795 by Nicholas Coburn, Robert Allison, Nathan Kinney, William Davis and their families, and Oliver Dodge, Daniel Davis, Joseph Simmons and Asa Coburn. This temporary settlement was used until the end of the Indian hostilities, when each man began to clear his own land. The colony was organized by Nicholas Coburn. The settlement was located on land owned by Nathan Kinney.
37 The Wolf Creek Mills — Southwest of Waterford. Contains a quote marking the site of the first commercial grist and saw mills in Ohio, which served the Marietta and Waterford communities, and were operated by Maj. White and his descendants from 1790 until after 1848.
38 Fort Frye — East Beverly. Contains a quote marking the site, which was occupied by the Indian War, 1791-1795. The fort protected the Waterford settlers during the period of the war. Waterford was founded by the second association of settlers which expanded from the Ohio Company’s headquarters at Marietta. The fort was named in honor of Lt. Joseph Frye, proponent and designer. The troops were commanded by Capt. William Gray.
39 Amos Porter Hall Farm — North of Lower Salem. Contains a quote in memory of Amos Porter who was the last of the pioneers who landed at Marietta on April 7, 1788. Porter was born Feb. 20, 1769, and died Nov. 28, 1861.
40 Pioneers of Ohio — Bank of the Ohio River on the C.W. Oakes property, Washington County. Contains a quote by the descendants of C.W. Oakes, in memory of pioneers of Ohio, Anthony Spaght and his wife, Catherine. Hannah, wife of Joseph Guthrie Stratton Leavens, Bliss and Denham, was one woman and two children who were killed by the Indians, along with some others whose names were not remembered. They died and were buried near this spot between 1790 and 1810. (Near Little Hocking.)
41 Rufus Putnam House — Enclosed in a wing of Campus Martius Museum site of The Ohio Historical Society, Second and Washington streets, Marietta. This bronze plaque contains the quote, “This house was one of the dwellings in Campus Martius, the fortification erected by the Ohio Company when the first settlement in the Northwest Territory was made at Marietta in 1788, it stood next to the southeast blockhouse and was built by General Rufus Putnam who made it his home until his death in 1828. It then became the property of Judge Arius Nye from whose daughter Minerva Tupper Nye it was purchased in 1919 by the State of Ohio.”
42 Fountain — Sacra Via Park on upper side of Second Street. Presented to the city of Marietta by Sarah R. Warren, contains the quote, “He prayeth best who loveth best, all things both great and small. For the dear God who loveth us, he made and loveth all,” an excerpt from The River of the Ancient Mariner.
43 Monument from France — Northwest point of where the Muskingum enters the Ohio River. Erected by the Northwest Territory Celebration Commission in 1938. The plate is a gift of the French government, and commemorates the French taking possession of these lands in 1749.