Washington County postcards from the past can be worth big money. Here are some examples:
- A birds-eye's view postcard of Watertown taken in 1910 by Fischers Studio in Marietta sold on eBay for $54.56.
- A 1963 postcard of the Wakefield Motor Inn sold for $11.55.
- A 1960 postcard of the famous "two horned" church in Marietta sold for $4.
- A 1916 postcard of the German National Bank Building, once located at the corner of Second and Putnam street, sold for $13.50.
- A 1940 postcard of Marietta's first fire engine sold for $6.
- A postcard of Beverly/Waterford Hayward mansion sold for $10.50.
- A 1910 Bartlett, Ohio, greeting postcard sold for $6.
- A Rockland, Ohio, postcard showing the Bel-Rock Motel and Waffle Shop sold for $ 6.50.
- A postcard of John Dana's residence in Belpre sold for $6. Also selling for $6 was a postcard of Walnut Street in Belpre.
- Other items selling at auction was a 1922-23 Polks Marietta, Ohio, directory that sold for $25. A Stedman's knife marked Belpre, Ohio, that sold for $76.
- A heart-shaped dish with a photo of the Washington County Courthouse in the center, that sold for $48.89.
- A 1910 Washington County highway map that sold for $26.
- An early map of Belpre Township sold for $26.05.
- A 1924 advertisement, "The Safe Cabinet Office on Fire," Marietta, sold for $7.99.
- An 1879 Belpre letter from L.E. Gilbert, $8.
- A match cover advertising the Marietta Chemical Termite Control, $4.
- An 1834 bill of lading of W & J.E. Hall, Marietta, steamer $4.
- A December-January 1957 copy of "The Furrow" by John Deere sent to Grasley Company, Marietta, $7.10.
In next week's column I will be answering several of your letters. In the meantime, check out my Auction Market News blog at koonpublishingcompany.blogspot.com
Larry Koon is the author of several price guide books on antiques and collectibles. His column appears every Monday on Life. Send letters to Treasure in the Attic, c/o The Marietta Times, 700 Channel Lane, Marietta 45750; or e-mail him at email@example.com. When writing, send a complete description of the item, along with size, color, any markings on the item along with condition the item is in, and how the item was obtained, and any other information. If possible, send a photograph. Letters will be answered through this column.