- An antique quilt owned by a Jackson, Michigan seller, and pieced by Mary Ann Williams Rood in Marietta in 1843, sold recently on eBay for $875 with bidding starting out at $795.
- A Minneapolis seller received 11 bids totaling $160.49 for an 1885 Ohio Brigade third reunion ribbon.
- A 1906-1907 134-page catalog of the Marietta Chair Factory failed to sell on the auction block with a starting bid of $95 posted by a Fleetwood, Pa., seller.
- A rare Parkersburg Creamery clock sold for one bid of $379.95 for a Parkersburg seller.
World's most valuable camera
The world's most expensive camera sold for $2.8 million at a May 12 auction in Vienna, Austria. Twelve more of these cameras are out there somewhere.
Be on the look out for a 1923 -o series Leica Camera. Leica made 31 of these cameras in its first batch.
Price of gold dropping in value
Have any old gold jewelery lying around you would like to turn into cash? The Price of an ounce of gold has dropped from $1.890 to $1.600
Have Elvis items you want to turn into cash
Have items pertaining to Elvis Presley you would like to sale, such as records, posters, photos or any other items of Elvis, then don't miss your chance to consign those items to the "August Ultimate Elvis Auction." Consignment deadline is June 22, 2012. Seven hundred thousand auction members around the country will be bidding on your items. To sell your items, contact Gary Shrum at Heritage auctions 1-800-872-6467, extension 1585, or email email@example.com.
Local auction results
- Plate, 9 1/4 inch by Wedgewood made in England "Ohio daughters of the American Revolution" depicting Campus Martius, $15.
- Book Old Marietta Pictoral works, published 1934 by Henry M. Dawes, $30.
- Postcard, President Teddy Roosevelt speech in Marietta, $41.
- Book, 1920 "Marietta College Ohio Football Season Review Book, beat Michigan 7-1, $21.
- Trade card 1880s St. Cloud Hotel, Marietta, $22.
- Calling card (1860) M.J. Weinberg Clothing Boots & Shoes Court House Square, Parkersburg, $25.
- Token good for 5 cents at the Court Club in Parkersburg, $52.50.
- Map, 1936 Leader Restaurant map of Marietta promotional material, $5.
- Postcard, "Birds eyeview of Parkersburg," $15.
- Spoon, Towle Sterling silver spoon, depicting Land Office, Marietta, $25.
- Postcard, patriotic postcard of Marietta by H.P. Fisher studios, $16.
Larry Koon is the author of several price guide books on antiques and collectibles. His column appears every Monday on Life. Send letters to Treasure in the Attic, c/o The Marietta Times, 700 Channel Lane, Marietta 45750; or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org. When writing, send a complete description of the item, along with size, color, any markings on the item along with condition the item is in, and how the item was obtained, and any other information. If possible, send a photograph. Letters will be answered through this column.