25 years ago
- A 1986 Cadillac was recovered in the Muskingum River. It was discovered by a boater, when his boat's propeller struck it at the Indian Acres boat ramp.
- The local Ohio Lottery office flag was stolen. The flag was an attempt to decorate for the bicentennial celebration. This is the third time in the last 18 months that a flag has been stolen.
- An estimated 7,500 people attended Broughton's 4th annual ice cream social. Social attendees consumed nearly 6,500 sundaes, 5,000 root beer floats, 5,000 ice cream cones and 4,000 other novelties, like popsicles.
- Five area residents were given awards for best demonstrating the principles of the Northwest Ordinance - self government, liberty through law, human freedom, property ownership, religion and liberty and education for civic responsibility.
100 years ago
- Fifty-seven of 81 applicants for teaching positions were successful at the examinations held by court examiners.