25 years ago
- The Kodak International Newspaper Snapshot contest's deadline is August 7. Amateur photographers may enter up to six photos taken after July 1, 1986. Photos should be brought to The Times.
- The storm that blew through the area might have brought soaking rains, but a stray lightning strike hit the Marietta Sewage Treatment Plant. Crews are still trying to restore power to the facility.
50 years ago
- Paul Guisinger was held for the FBI at the county jail. Guisinger was wanted by Army authorities for fleeing the stockade at Ft. Belvoir, Va.
- Two Williamstown boys escaped injury after the pickup truck they were in veered into a ditch and flipped.
100 years ago
- Dudley Ferguson and Thomas Battin threw several punches over where a wagon was allowed to sit at the end of the Odd Fellows lot. They were not arrested, but had to pay a fine for fighting.
- An emaciated horse fell in the corner of Front and Scammel streets. The case is under investigation by Humane Agent Best.