PARKERSBURG - A Parkersburg man credits his dog for saving his life last week during a fire at his home.
Stanley Davis of 414 16th St. was awakened by Cleo, a 3-year-old mixed breed, while the fire was beginning to consume the area around his couch.
"She had to jump through those flames," Davis, 68, said.
Stanley Davis of Parkersburg, says Cleo, his 3-year-old dog, saved him from a fire at his home on Nov. 2.
The fire occurred around 1:30 a.m. Nov. 2 around a table in the living room, Davis said. On oxygen and because of his health, Davis said he either sleeps on the couch or on a recliner, which was damaged in the fire.
Smoke detectors were working and alerted his wife, Judy, he said. The noise didn't awaken him, Davis said.
"I took a sleeping pill and when they knock me out, I'm out," Davis said.
The fire started near where an oxygen line crossed over an extension cord, he said. As the fire neared the couch, Cleo jumped through the fire and onto the couch, he said.
"She started licking my face and it woke me up," Davis said. "The flames were only 7 or 8 inches away from face."
At the same time, the smoke detectors awakened his wife, Davis said. Davis then began stomping on the flames.
Davis found Cleo in the middle of the street near the Sly Fox at 13th and Market three years ago, a week before the bar burned down in April 2009. The dog was a puppy, roaming around the neighborhood, he said.
The fire, limited to the table and the chair, was accidental, possibly caused by smoking, said Lt. Jason Matthews of the Parkersburg Police Department. The smoke detectors were sounding when authorities arrived and Davis was being helped out of the house by his wife, Matthews said.
Davis credits Cleo for saving his life and preventing serious damage to the home. A table was and a recliner were damaged, but not the couch, Davis said.
"If she hadn't gotten me up, they would have caught this couch on fire," Davis said.