FAIRFIELD TWP. - One man was injured and a house sustained heavy damage Monday after a fire that apparently started in a laundry room.
Four fire departments responded to the blaze at the 2348 Tick Ridge Road residence of John and April Bettinger. Authorities were notified of the fire just before noon, Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks said.
"Took us about 20 minutes from the time we got here to get it under control," said Rob Shotwell, a member of the Barlow Volunteer Fire Department.
EVAN BEVINS The Marietta Times
Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross executive director Sheri Schwartz, left, and Barlow Assistant Fire Chief Greg Fisher head toward a Tick Ridge Road house to do a walk-through after it sustained heavy smoke and water damage following a fire Monday.
Authorities said John Bettinger was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital by a squad from the Little Hocking Volunteer Fire Department after he sustained burns to his foot and leg. He was treated and released from the hospital, said Jennifer Offenberger, director of marketing and public relations for the Memorial Health System.
The fire started near the clothes dryer, Assistant Barlow Fire Chief Greg Fisher said. While he did not want to speculate about the cause, he said, "we don't suspect foul play at this time."
The Ohio Fire Marshal's Office was expected to complete the investigation.
How to help
To contribute to the Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross' assistance fund, contact the chapter house at 373-0281.
Both the Dunham and Wesley volunteer fire departments provided manpower to battle the blaze.
The fire was mainly confined to the laundry room area, but smoke spread throughout the house and there was also heavy water damage inside, firefighters said.
"It's a savable structure," Fisher said.
Still, the family lost virtually everything inside the house, said Sheri Schwartz, executive director of the Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
"So we'll be helping them out with clothing, personal items, bedding and linens," she said.
John and April Bettinger were home at the time of the fire, but it was not immediately clear Monday afternoon whether their four children were there also. Several pets escaped the house unharmed, but Fisher said he believed a couple of birds were killed.