A Marietta resident has been identified as the man who died after what was described as a "flash fire" at a natural gas facility Thursday in Tyler County, W.Va., The Associated Press reported.
Bruce Phipps, 56, of Marietta, died late Friday night, according to the Tyler County Sheriff's Office. He was one of three workers who were taken to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh after an accident Thursday evening at a Eureka Hunter Pipeline operation near Wick. A fourth man was taken to Sistersville General Hospital, where he was treated and released. Tyler County officials said the accident was an explosion at a compressor station.
Eureka's parent company, Magnum Hunter Resources, said it was a flash fire at a "pig receiving station." Pigs are devices used to clean or to inspect pipelines. Magnum said initial reports indicate that natural gas liquids ignited in tanks during "pigging" operations and fueled the fire. The workers were employed by contractors for Magnum.