Youngstown State University
YOUNGSTOWN - Richard Newhart, of Whipple, has been named to the dean's list at Youngstown State University for the spring 2013 semester. Newhart is majoring in Combined Science C at YSU.
To be eligible for the dean's list, a student must carry a semester grade point average of 3.4 or better and take a minimum of 12 semester hours of credit.
Davis & Elkins College
ELKINS, W.Va. - Davis & Elkins College has released its dean's list for the spring 2013 semester. Students on the list must have achieved a 3.6 GPA on a scale of 4.0 while taking a minimum of 12 semester hours. Area students were listed on the Davis & Elkins College dean's list:
- Katee Conaway is the daughter of David and Karen Conaway of Saint Marys, W.Va.
- Dayna Cooper is the daughter of Kenneth and Brenda Cooper of Parkersburg.
- Franklin Cottrill is the son of Patricia West of Mineral Wells, W.Va., and Robert Cottrill of Parkersburg.
- Ruby Stathers is the daughter of Ray and Lynn Stathers of Marietta.
Northeast Ohio Medical University
ROOTSTOWN - Dr. Mark Lane, of Marietta, was one of 184 public health professionals, pharmacists and physicians to graduate from Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) during its commencement ceremony on May 18 at The University of Akron's E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Center.
Lane was awarded a doctor of medicine degree. Lane will pursue a residency in orthopaedic surgery at Detroit Medical Center in Detroit, Mich. Lane is a graduate of Warren High School and Marietta College. He is the son of Ted Lane and Najet Lane. He is married to Tia Lane and father to Ethan Lane.
The Ohio State University
COLUMBUS - Ashley Becker, the daughter of Tom and Cheryl Becker of Newport, has been named to the dean's list at The Ohio State University in Columbus, with a 4.0 grade point average for the 2013 spring semester. Becker is majoring in speech and hearing sciences.
Shawnee State University
PORTSMOUTH - Three local students have been named to the dean's list at Shawnee State University for the spring semester, 2013 - Emily Leeper of Lower Salem, Erica Archer of Belpre, and Allyson Lynch of Vincent.
To be named on the list, students must be full time and achieve a grade point average of 3.5 or better.
Shawnee State University
PORTSMOUTH - Three local students have been named to the president's list at Shawnee State University for the spring semester, 2013 - Janell Pisegna of Marietta, a natural science major; Carson Tucker of Marietta, a business administration major; and Brittany Barta of Vincent, a physical therapy major.
To be named to the list, students must be full-time and have achieved a grade point average of 4.0.
Davis & Elkins College
ELKINS, W.Va. - Davis & Elkins College held its 104th Commencement Ceremonies Saturday, May 18, honoring 119 graduates. The West Virginia Highlanders of Davis & Elkins College led the faculty, administration, special guests and graduates into Myles Center for the Arts Harper-McNeeley Auditorium for the ceremony, which was followed by photos and a reception.
Local students who were honored in Saturday's ceremony include:
- Katee Conaway earned a bachelor of arts in psychology & human services. Conaway is the daughter of David and Karen Conaway of Saint Marys, W.Va.
- Andrew Morris earned a bachelor of science in accounting. Morris is the son of Ayward Morris Jr. and Brenda Pence both of Parkersburg.
- Derek Sparks earned a bachelor of science in sport management. Sparks is the son of Paul Sparks of Williamstown and Gayle Sparks of Reno, Ohio.
- Derek Sparks earned a bachelor of science in sport management. Sparks is the son of Gayle Sparks of Reno, Ohio and Paul Sparks of Williamstown.
- Ruby Stathers earned a bachelor of arts in hospitality management. Stathers is the daughter of Ray and Lynn Stathers of Marietta.
University of Rhode Island
KINGSTON, R.I. - William A. Swinsburg, of Belpre, received a master of science degree in fisheries animal and veterinary science from the University of Rhode Island during the university's 127th commencement on May 18 and 19.
ASHLAND - The following local residents are on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University:
- Corey Fickiesen was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. Fickiesen is majoring in sport management. He is the son of Brad and Christie Fickiesen of Reno. Fickiesen is a 2011 graduate of Frontier High School.
- Alicia McBride was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. McBride, who graduated in May, was majoring in biology. She is the daughter of Roger and Joy McBride of Stockport. McBride is a 2009 graduate of Morgan High School.
- Kristina Phillips was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. Phillips is majoring in hospitality management. She is the daughter of Richard and Darlene Phillips of Williamstown. Phillips is a 2010 graduate of Parkersburg High School.
- Nathaniel Sayatovich was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. Sayatovich is majoring in theatre. He is the son of Terry and Vicki Sayatovich of McConnelsville. Sayatovich is a 2009 graduate of Morgan High School.
- Olivia Sprague was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. Sprague is majoring in nursing. She is the daughter of Douglas and Janelle Sprague of Fleming. Sprague is a 2012 graduate of Waterford High School.
- Emma Tappel was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. She is the daughter of Edward and Mary Tappel of Marietta. Tappel is a 2012 graduate of Parkersburg Catholic High School.
- Lindsey Tippett was on the dean's list for the spring semester at Ashland University. Tippett, who graduated in May, was majoring in French. She is the daughter of Daniel Tippett and Tracie Huffman. Tippett is a 2009 graduate of Morgan High School.
To be eligible for this honor, a student must be enrolled full time and achieve at least a 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
WILMINGTON - Catherine A. Bennett, of Newport, has been named to the Wilmington College dean's list for the 2013 spring semester. To be eligible for the dean's list honor, a student must be enrolled full time and maintain at least a 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
University of Rio Grande & Rio Grande Community College
RIO GRANDE - Ty Giffin, of Marietta, majoring in history, was named to the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College spring semester 2012-13 dean's honor list.
To achieve the dean's honor list, students must be enrolled full time, a minimum of 12 credit hours, completing all courses for which registered and earn a 3.75 grade point average, on a 4.0 scale, during the semester.
Rio Grande & Rio Grande Community College
RIO GRANDE - Jessica L Wingrove, of Belpre, whose major is early childhood education, achieved the merit list for the spring semester at the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College.
To achieve the merit list, students must be enrolled full time, a minimum of 12 credit hours, completing all courses for which registered and earn a 3.5-3.74 grade point average, on a 4.0 scale, during the semester.
Hocking College announces that the following local students have been added to the dean's list for spring semester 2013. Each student earned at least a 3.3 grade point average and completed 12 or more credit hours - Bruce Abbott of Marietta; Nathanial Anderson of Belpre; Diana Carver of Vincent; Joel Cox of Lower Salem; Torrance Dennis of Belpre; Melissa Fisher of Cutler; Heather Kennedy of Cutler; Brandie Knotts of Marietta; Melody Myers of Cutler; Benjamin Reed of Marietta; Samantha Skinner of Beverly; Kyla Stack of Beverly; Barbara Tabler of Cutler; Joshua Wagner of Belpre; Megan Wright of Fleming; Joshua Wyse of Fleming.
PARKERSBURG - The Parkersburg Campus of National College announced the graduates in the Class of 2013. The following students received their degrees and diplomas at the graduation ceremony held on Thursday, April 25, at Parkersburg Art Center.
From Belpre: Destiny Bennett, diploma; Rebecca J. Duff, diploma; Jason W. Taylor, associate degree; Teresa Taylor, associate degree. From Little Hocking: Chad L. Brookover, diploma. From Marietta, Tina Bruner, diploma. From Waterford: Tori Megan Stutler, diploma.
West Liberty University
WEST LIBERTY, W.Va. - West Liberty University held its spring 2013 commencement at 11 a.m., Saturday, May 11, in the Academic, Sports and Recreation Complex (ASRC). Representing the largest graduating class since the 1980s, the Class of 2013 includes the following students - Undergraduate degree candidates: Ashley Marie Cataldo of Williamstown; Ashley Alcena-Dawn Crum of Caldwell; Stephen R. Collins of Little Hocking; Morgan Ann Lisk of Reno.
Kent State University
Local students were named to the dean's list at Kent State University for superior academic achievement during the 2013 spring semester - Brennan DeLaney, Barnesville; Alicia Kanzigg, Beallsville; Alexis Kanzigg, Beallsville; Daniel Kreaps, Little Hocking; Joshua Duskey, Lowell; Zachary Huck, Lowell; Jacob Worthington, Lowell; Amanda Gerken, Marietta; Noelle Farley, New Matamoras; Kacie Wears, Waterford.
To be named to the dean's list, full-time students must have achieved a grade point average of 3.40 or greater and must have completed 12 or more letter-graded credit hours.
EDINBORO, Pa. - Aaron M. Dunbar, of Lowell, was named to the dean's list at Edinboro University for the spring term.
APPLETON, WIS. - Evan Cavalier, the son of Dennis and Christine Cavalier, Fleming, was awarded a bachelor of arts degree in history June 9 from Lawrence University at the college's 164th commencement. Cavalier is a 2009 graduate of Warren High School, Vincent.
The University of Akron
AKRON - Local students who graduated from The University of Akron in the spring, 2013:
- Jessica Schultz of Amesville, surveying and mapping.
- Bryanna Hayes of Belpre, biomedical engineer - biomech/coop.
- Brittany Ferguson of Belpre, educational administration - higher education.
- Anna Harper of Belpre, nursing.
- Corey Wunderlich of Fleming, computer engineering.
University of Southern California
Dornsife College of Arts and Sciences
Sofia Danford has been named to the dean's list for the fall 2012 and spring 2013 semesters at the University of Southern California's Dornsife College of Arts and Sciences. She is majoring in biology, with a minor in Spanish, and recently completed a month-long undergraduate research course on coastal ocean systems and sustainability at USC's Wrigley Marine Science Center on Catalina Island. She is a 2012 graduate of Marietta High School and is the daughter of Barbara and Richard Danford.
NEW CONCORD - The following area students have been named to the spring, 2013 dean's list at Muskingum University in New Concord.
Kelsey Apperson, of McConnelsville; Cortney Barker, of Watertown; Jaimie Bowman, of McConnelsville; Aaron Clark, of Caldwell; Jamie Hamrick, of Little Hocking; Adrienne Hellinger, of Beverly; Elizabeth Hopp, of Marietta; Zachary Kress, of Belpre; Courtnie Mackie, of Caldwell; Lindsay Mullen, of Marietta; Sarah Richardson, of McConnelsville; Chelsea Robinson, of Lewisville; Katherine Roush, of Vincent; Jodi Shafer, of Woodsfield; Amber Spear, of Caldwell; Adriane Steed, of Caldwell; Andrew Tornes, of Vincent; Myranda Warfield, of Marietta; Jendy Weppler, of Whipple; Amanda Wisenburg, of Marietta.
To be named to the dean's list, Muskingum students must attain strictly prescribed levels of academic performance in their overall grade point average.
MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Nicholas Hugh, of Marietta, has graduated from Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wis. Hugh earned a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
Hugh was one of nearly 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students who participated in the May 19 graduation ceremony at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.
NEW CONCORD - The following area students graduated from Muskingum University on May 11 during commencement exercises held on the campus in New Concord, Ohio.
- Cortney Barker, of Watertown, majored in early childhood education.
- Jaimie Bowman, of McConnelsville, majored in psychology and health and fitness.
- Aaron Clark, of Caldwell, majored in history.
- Courtnie Mackie, of Caldwell, majored in humanities.
- Clinton McElfresh, of Caldwell, majored in digital media design.
- Kara Niswonger, of Caldwell, majored in special education.
- Katherine Simms, of Waterford, majored in digital media design.
- Adriane Steed, of Caldwell, majored in biology.
- Jendy Weppler, of Whipple, majored in molecular biology and bhemistry.