"Imagine over one hundred sheep at a time running down Main Street," Jerry Drake recently recalled when interviewed about his memories of Waterford during the late 1930's and early 1940's. Each farmer painted a different colored mark on their sheep, which was the way they showed ownership. Jerry recalled traveling up or down Main Street and being forced to yield the right of way to the sheep. "They would run astray into the yards, twist and turn, and then run in another direction," he recalled. Since there was no bypass back then, the farmers would drive their sheep down Main Street, under the trestle, and at the Beverly-Waterford bridge turn up the street to a holding pen near Waterford Cemetery. The pen was directly across the road from the old Elston Lumber Company (now Randy and Mabel Townsend's Air Heater Seal Company). The loading chutes butted up against the railroad track, which was the means of transporting sheep, cattle and pigs to market so the farmers got money for them. This writer has heard this enterprise called a stockyard, but Jerry laughed at this. "It was a small holding pen with a loading chute," he explained. If anyone has a picture of this pen, the Oliver Tucker Museum in Beverly would like to have a copy.