Information distributed during the bicentennial in 1989 stated: "Visitors to Beverly-Waterford during the bicentennial have several places of historical significance to see ... The Capt. John Dodge home on Ohio 339 ... is believed to have been built about 1830." (Reflections, April-June 1989, p. 6) A commemorative throw for the years 1789 to 1997 depicted seven old area houses, including the John Dodge House in Waterford. In Glen Chandler's 1994 Memories of Yesteryear (p. 54), it 6is called the Capt. John Dodge House. Although Capt. John Dodge died in 1805 and could not have built a house in 1830, people conveniently solved this problem by assuming that the builder was the captain's son, John Dodge Jr. (1787-1854), the founder of Beverly.